Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Mildred's Temple Kitchen

Mildred's Temple Kitchen
85 Hanna Avenue Toronto, ON M6K 3S3
(416) 588-5695
http://www.templekitchen.com

This restaurant is hidden in Liberty Village. And when I say hidden, I mean hidden because there isn't really any signage for it. It's right at the corner of Snooker and Hanna St, in the building on the North side of Snooker St. There are two buildings on either side of Hanna St, so go to the one on the East side.

The restaurant (after you finally find it) has a sleek open concept design with high ceilings and a wall of windows. I would say their environment is trendy, eco-chic, particularly because of their use of steel warmed by beige, woody colours and dimmed lighting. I can see this place being nice for a date, a girls night, or after work drinks.

Speaking of drinks, I would recommend their drink, the Bagheera, for a nice light summer drink. It tastes like a Mojito, because of the mint leaves. But there's an extra something in the Bagheera because they use a bit of ginger beer and gin, instead of vodka. I know, it sounds kind of gross that they added ginger beer, but it was just a touch so that it was still refreshing and sweet.


Bagheera ($8.50)


For appetizers, we ordered the Octopus with smoked chorizo, smoked paprika, and tomato. The octopus came in a fist-sized portion tossed in a tomato-based sauce and bread on the side. The sauce isn't like a canned pasta sauce type of tomato though. It was rich with smokey spices that gave it an exotic, rustic flavor. I wish I had a better picture to show you the sauce. (note to self for future posts)

The standout dish was the Gnocci Poutine with oxtail gravy and cheese curds. It's that little plate edging out from my picture. It's also an appetizer so the portion is small, but my goodness is it good. Prior to this, I considered gnocci a thick type of pasta because it seemed dense with the potato centers. Kind of like smaller perogies. But not with Mildred's Temple Kitchen's gnocci. It's made perfectly so it feels like it just melts in your mouth. The oxtail gravy is flavorful and the most similar thing I can liken it to is a more subtle pulled pork gravy because they share that delicious smokey meat flavour.


In front of me: Octopus with smoked chorizo, smoked paprika, and tomato ($13)
Slightly cut off: Gnocci Poutine with oxtail gravy and cheese curds ($14)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...