Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Congee Queen

Congee Queen
2930 Av Steeles E
Thornhill, ON L3T 7X1
(905) 731-3880
www.congeequeen.com/
Congee Queen on Urbanspoon

My brother brought home some congee from Congee Queen and I ate some of it (actually I finished it the day after). He had ordered the House Super Bowl Congee ($10.45), and it was so good! It was thick and salty. In it were tiger shrimps, scallops, hokkigai, salmon, garoupa & artificial crab meat. And when I mention all of these ingredients, it wasn't like small pieces that were diced up and mixed in. Oh no, they were big pieces - added value! Anyways, after that, I had a huge craving for Congee Queen. So when my friends told me decide where to go for lunch, no problem friends!

Turnip patties: Good. Worth it.
Rice Noodles with Shrimp & Egg Sauce: Good. Worth it.
Garlic Baby Bok Choi: Their quality is good (but you can make it yourself).
Softshell Crab Fried Rice: Better at other places.

Verdict: Come here for a consistently good Asian meal. I've been here many, many times and have always been satisfied.

__________________________


Their infamous turnip patties ($5.95)

The Fried Chili Turnip Patties are one of their most popular dishes. Every time I come here, somebody suggests to order the turnip patties. They come as cubed pieces and are thick and soft. It's stir-fried in a chili sauce, but it's not spicy at all. If you like it spicy, dip it into the chili sauce in your table. That chili sauce tastes amazing on everything.

Fried Rice Noodle w/ Shrimp & Scrambled Egg ($9.25)

We also got the Fried Rice Noodle with Shrimp and Scrambled Egg Sauce, Spicy Soft Shell Crab Fried Rice, and Baby Pak Choi with Garlic Sauce. The Fried Rice Noodle with Shrimp is also something my friends commonly order. The shrimps are plump, which I really like - not a huge fan of small shrimps. The sauce is thick but in terms of flavours, it`s mainly an egg sauce so it doesn't have an overpowering flavour. I also love the rice noodles because it absorbs all the sauce, so you get this soft, saucy amalgamation in your mouth. `


spicy softshell crab fried rice - only thing I would say is not worth it ($11.25)

The Spicy Softshell Crab Fried Rice was kind of disappointing. It was our first time ordering it, cause I wanted to try something new. The rice had a deep orangey/yellow colour, but not a lot of flavour was held by it so I couldn`t even tell what gave the rice that colour. The pieces of soft shell crab were generous, but I felt like the crab wasn't seasoned enough so it also tasted bland. Overall, not something I would order again.

I had to take a picture of it, since we didn't order it ($7.25)

I wanted to order the Spice & Pepper Salt Squid because I think this place makes it well - big pieces of squid that are chewy on the inside and crispy on the outside with lots of seasoning. Anyways, my friend rejected the squid because he said it's much better at the New Ho King in downtown Chinatown. I think they're about the same, but I guess I'll have to have a showdown for the two in the future.


Even their vegetables look good.. ($8.50)


This chain is opened by the same people as Congee Wong, but it's catered to a more Westernized crowd. Thus, the decor and menu designs are more modern, the staff can speak and understand English, and the items have proper English translations, which I appreciate. They also have a patio...what other Asian restaurant has a patio? Chilling on the patio on a summer day with a plate of turnip patties in front of you - I've tried it and it's a good idea. This place is always busy. Every hour, every day, so if grab a table early or expect to wait like 15 minutes. One of the reasons why is because their quality of food never dropped. The portions never got smaller and they never skimped on any of the ingredients. Plus, their food tastes good. Sure, there might be heaps of MSG in there, but do I care? Nope, it tastes great. I've been here countless times, and it has always been reliable in delivering great quality, quantity and taste.

__________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...