Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

Chococrepe: Dinner & Dessert Crepes

If you are in the west end of downtown Toronto, if you are looking for a lighter meal, if you are want to eat something different, then I'd definitely recommend checking out this little crepe place, Chococrepe. To be honest, the idea of salty crepes once horrified me, but Chococrepe gave me a newfound appreciation for dinner crepes.


Their menu was short but sweet. They offered 23 types of crepes (11 savoury and 12 sweet), a few salads, various types of hot chocolates, and various types of brownies. Their dinner crepes were made with buckwheat which gave a very subtle sweetness to the crepe...and it made me feel healthy. So added bonus!


The paintings on the wall were interesting. The juxtaposed chandelier that hung over the end of the restaurant was gorgeous. And the music was the kind you would want to listen to on a summer day at the beach. Overall, I loved the environment. It was relaxed with a little bit of retro feel.


Then to the actual food. We actually ended up ordering 5 savoury crepes, and one dessert crepe. The savoury crepes came out looking the same and it was hard to see the fillings inside, so I didn't take too many photos of them. They were all served with a small spinach salad on the side and even the little bit of salad was good.

We ordered their Turkey crepe ($9.25) which was strangely comforting with turkey meat, smoked wood bacon, dried cranberries and cream. There was a perfect amount of each ingredient and the flavours melded together. If you want something safe, this is a great choice.

However, if you're looking to be a little more adventurous. I'd recommend their Mango Chicken crepe ($9.25) which had chicken breast, mango mayo, swiss cheese, and lemon leaves. I was very skeptical of this dish because of the "mango mayo". I love mangos and mango-flavoured things, but I also know that if you try too hard to incorporate mango sometimes, there can be negative ramifications. Chococrepe didn't fail to impress though. The mayo wasn't too extreme but rather, it added a nice sweetness to the chicken. It also had a little bit of Asian accents in the flavours. [Recommended!!]

We also had the Wild Brie ($9.75). It was still considered a savoury crepe but it was definitely a sweeter alternative from the other crepes. This crepe consisted on brie, toasted almonds, dried cranberries and a small pot of honey on the side for you to use at your discretion. I may be a bit biased, but I love brie. If I had to choose a cheese to represent romance, it would be brie. This one was an easy winner for me, to say the least. It was light, with hints of sweetness from the cranberries and occasionally I'd dip it in the honey also. Actually...a tip to make your crepe instantly better? Dab it into a little bit of honey. I experimented this with all the crepes that we ordered, and it complemented all the flavours really well and added a little more complexity to the crepe. [Recommended!!]


Then there was the Chipotle Chicken ($9.25) which had pieces of chicken breast, arugula, mozzarella, and chipotle mayo. Be warned, there was definitely a kick in the mayo. It wasn't spicy enough to make me stop or even to have to wash it down with water, but there was definitely a kick. If you can't eat spicy - I wouldn't recommend it.

Our first four dishes were great, so when we got our last dinner crepe, we were a little disappointed. The Scalloped Potatoes ($8.75) had sliced potatoes, mozzarella, mixed onions and a dollop of sour cream on the top. This was my least favourite of the four because the potatoes were too thick and it didn't match the lightness of a crepe. It's not necessarily that Chococrepe's execution was bad, I think it's just the idea of scalloped potatoes in crepe-form doesn't work as well. (Yes, this also tasted better after dipping it in honey)


Our grand finale. We ordered the Crunchy Pear dessert crepe ($8.25) which had slices of pear, drizzled with milk chocolate and crushed almonds. We also added Vanilla Ice Cream to it for $1 extra. While this was good in its own regard, it was very literal and didn't really offer any surprising flavours. My friend loved it - you should have heard the sounds she made when she tried it cause she was so joyed by the crushed almonds. But as for me, I think if I'm going to get a dessert crepe, I'll stick to Demetre's The Last Straw crepe for now.

Chococrepe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...